Monday, September 15, 2008

Happy Birthday P-Diddy



No, I know what you're thinking ... "Music and Fashion Mogul Sean Combs is celebrating a birthday?" Well, no, at least not until November 4th. I'm referring to my son, Parker Dean Pippin. Parker will commemorate his first full year out of the womb on October 7th, but I've been feeling somewhat nostalgic today so I thought I'd post my top ten reasons why I love my son:

10) “How He Move” – My son can dance. He’s got rhythm and knows which music is worth bouncing to and which is not. It’s yet to be determined to what extent he’ll be serving anyone, stomping the yard, or stepping up; but rest assured, his moves should be sufficient for any High School Stomp he’ll attend.

9) He looks like his Mommy– I must admit, from the time of conception until the actual delivery, I had a looming feeling that I would be wrapping a diaper around a pair of eyebrows. However, when I first saw him (even pre-bath) he had his mommy’s cute button nose. I’m reminded how much I love Wendy every time I look at him.

8) Aptitude for Electronics– Perhaps aptitude is the wrong word. He is obsessed with them, yes, but he only destroys them rather than uses them. I suppose there is a striking similarity between an iPod earbud and a pacifier.

7) Baby’s Best Friend– The only thing more entertaining than having a baby or a puppy is having both (as evidenced by my wife’s previous blog). No matter how upset I get at the fact that Parker feeds Gambit food straight from his tray, I can’t help but laugh at the big smile it puts on his face.

6) A Truly Positive Body Image– I understand that babies are chunky, but I kid you not, there are folds in Parker’s thighs that have yet to be exposed to oxygen. Regardless of his current state, I’ve never seen a person look happier when they view themselves nude in the mirror.

5) First-Class Music Critic– I enjoy playing and signing songs with my guitar. However, I admittedly confess to be horrible at both. I am a horrible guitarist, and a much, much worse singer. However, Parker never fails to start grooving when he hears either.

4) A Knack for Spreadsheets– It seems that anytime I’m actually working on my laptop, as opposed to casually surfing, Parker also comes by to bang on the keyboard. I’m certain he’ll be analyzing data and building statistically models in no time.

3) Top-Form Oral Hygiene– Many of you noticed that Parker has had a few teeth for quite awhile now. Two on the top and two on the bottom, all you really need to bite your mom or dad.

“Parker, where would you be without the company dental plan?”

“Well, I wouldn’t have old chomper here, that’s for sure.”

(10 points to any reader who can name that reference)

2) A Natural Taste for the Healthy– Perhaps Wendy may have more insight on this one because she has fed Parker much more than I have, but it seems that anytime I try and feed him any type of vegetable, he locks up his mouth and refuses to eat. However, any time there is something sweet on the spoon, he begins screaming it if isn’t entering his mouth every half second.

1) He is my Son – I haven’t been around children, let along babies, for much of my life. I’m not the best father—I don’t even claim to be a good one. And I admit that sometimes when I come home from work, one of the last things I want to do is sit at the table for hours attempting to put approximately 3 ounces of food into my child. With all of that being said, nothing brightens my day more than to see his big blue eyes (which I still have yet to learn their origin) or to see his mostly toothless smile. I truly love him more everyday than I did the day before.

Happy Birthday P-Diddy, Happy Birthday.

10 comments:

Jake said...

Dont underestamate the power of the Jungle Brow

Daniel and Kelsie Frandsen said...

Oh my gosh i can't believe he is going to be one year old!! It seems like you just had him he has grown up so quick and is as cute as ever!!

B-ryce said...

The Simpsons.

10 points for me! So that makes it:
Bryce - 10
Everyone else - 0

And I'm sure Parker will want braces as soon as he browses through The Big Book of British Smiles.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe he's already 1. I think it's high time we introduce Parker to the wide world of sports and fishing. No more Johnny and the Sprites, it's time for Monday Night Football and fishing with Bill Dance.

Dana Boehm said...

Awesome, awesome post, Jared. I totally know where little P-Diddy got his taste for healthy food (or should I say lack thereof?). I'll give you one hint -- it's the same person who gave him that cute button nose.

Melissa said...

Jared-
Your an awesome dad!! Just from that post I can tell. There is nothing sweeter then a daddy gushing over his son!!

Melissa Jones (Meenderink)

~adelle said...

what a cute little guy and a great post from a daddy!

hello you guys! I saw Jared getting his hair trimmed the other day (your hair turned out nicely!) and figured I had better say hello to the ole' blog too!

Fun to see what you guys are up to!

Jodi said...

That was so sweet Jared! Props to you on embracing fatherhood and being in touch enough with your sensitive side to share it publicly! Nice pic on a hubby Wen!!

KMF & DSF said...

The simpsons, 10 points for me to!

Nicely said J-dawg brought a tear to my eye! Can't wait to see you at the bday partyn all dressed up as johnny and the sprites!

Anne Woods said...

Jared, Wendy and Parker are lucky to have you! I really enjoyed that! Happy early birthday to Parker!??!?! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!