Saturday, August 16, 2008

A Little Slice of the American Dream

"A little slice of the American Dream …" That’s what my father told me we purchased when Wendy and I moved into our 1,500 sq ft. split entry house a couple of years ago. Although both of us feel extremely blessed to have a home, the combination of falling trees, rising water prices, and a terminally ill lawn have made our slice of the American Dream less and less savory with every spoonful.

As Wendy previously mentioned, we returned home from a long vacation to have our one and only source of shade split right down the middle. Although the task of removing the tree proved to be quite daunting, I did the enjoy using the axe and chainsaw (although I was cutting through limbs with a meager diameter of no more than 4 inches). Soon enough all the branches were cut up and hauled away to the local green waster center. Only the stump endured …

With the plan to convert the concrete-enclosed area into a fire pit, it was only a matter of time until I attacked the unyielding stump. Having removed several trees at my parents house during my youth, I knew that a large, winding mass of roots sit below every tree. However, determined to fully satisfy at least one of my wife’s honey-dos during my lifetime, I grabbed my trusty axe and shovel and got to work …

5 hours of digging, 1 hour of axing, 2 gallons of water, and a few rotations of my favorite iPod playlist later, the resolute root ball was nearly fully exposed. Knowing that I had reached point where no tool would compensate for raw energy, I began to kick, push, pull, hit, slug, smash, smite, sock strike, swat, thwack, whack, and wop the relentless root ball. Despite my best efforts, the unwavering root ball was not coming out. Lucky for me, Wendy stepped outside just in time to witness my final herculean effort to uproot the unflinching root ball. With one loud yell and something that can be categorized only as an of out-of-body experience, I managed to yank the steadfast root ball away from its last few appendages and heaved it upon the patio to await its final departure to the Ogden City Transfer Station.

We now have a pleasant fire pit to complement our newly-branded friendship patio. So to all of you reading, please accept my invitation to stop by at any time to enjoy some delicious smores and warmhearted conversation.


10 comments:

KMF & DSF said...

That wore me out reading about it! I'm stoked to use the fire pit. Maybe we could even like camp out back there or something, just an idea!

Laci said...

Holy Geez!!! That is crazy Im sure Wendy so impressed :) Good thing she ran out for quick peek! K I can't wait to have some yumms smores!!

Daniel and Kelsie Frandsen said...

im so sorry jared I too feel the pain of home ownership, yard work is the pits!! in your case literally! BOOM! what a kjoke, but seriously im proud of you I have 2 huge stumps in my backyard that i dont dare touch! anyways im on my way over for smores!!

Dana Boehm said...

What a manly, manly man. You and Paul can swap yard work and power tool stories over smores in a few weeks:)

I also like the new Parker pics. That kid is so cute!

Daniel and Kelsie Frandsen said...

Congratulations Jared that is quite the accomplishment!! We are very proud of you :-) we can't wait to come enjoy some of those smores!! We have 2 tree stumps in our backyard feel free to come pull them out next :-)

linnie said...

Very, very impressive!! Love you!

Jodi said...

I so wish I could take you up on that offer, Jared, especially after all that effort was exerted! Enjoy it! We too are working to remove a stump, only it's in our front yard and we got a nasty gram from the home owners association telling us to get rid of it or else...Embarrassing!

Anonymous said...

Someone discovered the thesaurus function on Microsoft Word, I see.

Anonymous said...

dictionary.com actually. I thought it would be fun to use a different adjective every time I referred to the root ball.

Anonymous said...

I bet Wendy saw you in a whole new light and was shall we say "attracted" as she watched you doing your best Paul Bunyon work on that tree...