Friday, August 8, 2008

Item #14 on my Life List

Friends, family members, associates, and lesser-known acquaintances … I received a phone call yesterday from a one Mr. Davis who informed me that Weezer is coming to Utah on October 7th with Angles and Airwaves (2 of my top 5 bands).

I immediately thought he was trying to pull some clever caper in retaliation to my “less-than-enthusiastic” response to Coldplay’s new album. However, I was quite surprised to hear that his report was indeed factual.

I have loved Weezer ever since Rivers Cuomo so harmoniously educated the world on the science of sweater destruction. I have since followed Rivers, Brian, Patrick, and their ever-changing bassist through five more albums. Now Rivers hasn’t received much praise from critics or fans for several years due to their inability to produce progressive music. To this, I say “pishaw!” This is exactly what I love about Weezer, their consistency. I also love the fact that Rivers Cuomo just may be the biggest nerd in the industry (an industry that would greatly benefit from a few more geeks). Lastly, I’ll just say that I have never seen Weezer live and I think that last time they came to Utah, I was in high school—it’s a rare occasion indeed!

In regards to Angles and Airwaves, I will say this … The year was 2003, I recently wed my lovely wife and was entrenched in my undergraduate studies at the local University—oh, and I was sick to death of music. I was sick of all of my music and was desperately craving something new … something … how should I say … EPIC. And then … I heard it … I heard a fantasmical sound that took my on a journey of electronic proportions. It was exactly what I was I was looking for, what I was craving. It was the new sound I needed but with a familiar ring, the high and somewhat unrefined vocals of one Thomas Delonge of Blink 182 (a staple of my high school years). I perused the CD booklet upon purchase and read a short anecdote from said vocalist encouraging people to give this album its due respect by listening to it in its entirety. Well Mr. Delonge, if you’re reading this, I took your challenge, and I assess that you’ve created something bigger than music. And to that, I say “Well done … well done indeed.”

So there it is a 400 word rant on my thoughts on what may just be the greatest concert of all time …


7 comments:

Jake said...

Brother, your prose is in top form.

KMF & DSF said...

j-dawg well written...and I would now like to take the opportunity to express my gratitude to you for introducing me to angels and airwaves! Even though some of their songs I downloaded weren't really their songs I still enjoy rocking out to them, all most as much as I enjoy rocking out to BET!

Jodi said...

Woah, Jared! I so have no idea what you are talking about, but glad you are looking forward to it! I realize it's probably me--behind on the times, too old, something!!

Daniel and Kelsie Frandsen said...

ok jared i will start to save my pennies and we can go, weezer does a great live show, i also propose we rally the troops i dont know of any friend of ours that wouldnt want to go see the weezer live!! what do you think??

Melissa said...

Jared,
Hey it's Melissa Jones (Meenderink) from high school. I went to the Weezer concert the last time they were in Utah and it had to have been when all of you guys were on your missions because I went with Jodi and Christian was gone on his. I LOVE Weezer too. Hope you enjoy there concert, I enjoyed it when I went.

Melissa

Anonymous said...

JJJJJJ JP Unit,
Your article is top notch sir. I too enjoy the sounds of Weezer and A&A although not at the same level as you. If you do indeed decide to "rally the troops" as Daniel stated, I'm in.

VIVA Los JP Thumpas!

Anonymous said...

Jared, it took me a couple reads to figure out what you were actually talking about but I finally got it. I'm clueless as to any of the musgic (as Hailey would say) you're all hyped up about however I was totally entertained with your prose.