Tuesday, March 4, 2008

A sad, sad day!!









Today I have lost a close friend of mine. It's been with me since I was a baby. We have spent many, many nights together. Some of you might recognize it and some of you might sympathize with me (dana). I knew this day was coming and I am sure that we will still spend nights together, but I also know I need to let go. It started going downhill when I had Parker. It was up late at night when Parker was puking on me and as a result it, and the washings became too much. This last wash, the final one, was thanks to Gambit who puked on it. I knew it was bad when I pulled it out of the washing machine and stuffing came flying out. I didn't look any closer I just quickly threw it in the dryer hoping that by some miracle the dryer could fix it. I waited 2 days, afraid of what I might see, and went to check it out. It was bad. Really bad. It was twisted and parts were missing. I put it to my face and all I could feel was rough batting that once lay in the middle. So today I am retiring my blankie, yes Jared...I'm serious.

I thought I should share a few memories I had of my blankie, some are completely embarrasing and humiliating, but they are all true:
I slept with it every night, I could get into bed in the dark and just feel around for it. I knew what it felt like. I would wrap it around my head so that it was pressed right up against my face. When I lived at home, mom would have to take it out of my bed and washed it. I hated it being washed, it felt and smelt different (clean i guess). Any trip I went on, it was there. I always carried it on the plane for comfort and because I was afraid of loosing it if my luggage were to get lost. Here's were it gets embarrasing...when Chris went on his mission, he took it with him...he traded me his, but it was not the same. Luckily when I dear john'd him I got it back...why didn't I do that sooner?! Jared and I got married and it of course came along to the honeymoon. I slept with it everynight. Jared wouldn't touch it and often refered to it as a "bacteria trap". If he got in bed first, he would hide it, I think he thought I wouldn't notice and I would just go to bed...but I always noticed. It came to the hospital with me when i had parker. I think it made the nurse nervous. Before the final wash, I had told Jared it had started loosing it's softness, I would wake up to feel roughness rubing on my face. I knew the end was coming. And then...well you know the rest. I once wrote Dr. Phil and asked how to let it go...the jerk didn't ever reply. All joking aside...I feel sad inside.



2 comments:

Mandagirl said...

Ah, so sad. I feel as if I should cry. But alas, it's time to move on... some may even say good riddance but what are you going to do? I think you'll have to find a replacement. A blanket of Parkers? A shirt of Jared's? Something!

pb said...

Wends-

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. The pillow person and I will think of your blankie often with fondness. However, we will think of your writing Dr. Phil with disdain.

Dana